Friday, January 27, 2006

How cold is it??

The frigid weather brought down from Russia's cold front has blanketed much of Bulgaria. The temperatures have fell to as low as minus 17 degrees Celsius (or 1 degree Fahrenheit) in the northern parts of the country..and that is in the sun. The strong tornado-like winds make it seem even colder.


It has been so cold here that many schools around the country have closed their doors in fears of the harsh weather, but hopeful that the cold wave will pass by Monday. My school is one of them. Although I have a mere eight minute walk to school, many of my students and colleagues live 20-30 minutes away by foot. As they walk into school with their red and wind burned faces, you can tell they failed to get a taxi. So thank you Russia for yet another few days off.

In the meantime power consumption has rocketed sky-high, as many people (including myself) resort to electric heaters. I don't remember the last time I unplugged it. Good thing I don't pay the bill. I am still trying to figure out a way to bring my heater to bed with me. Until then, I will have to rely on my five layers of clothing, the seven blankets on my bed, and my warm kitty all nestled together in my smallest room. I don't dare try to cook as my kitchen is so cold I cant feel my fingers after about 5 minutes, not to mention I can see my own breath. Wow..thats cold!


Forecasts say daytime temperatures were to ease no earlier than Thursday. But the temperatures are still down, and the cold weather has already claimed several lives including a six-month-old baby who froze to death here in Stara Zagora. The infant was brought frozen to the local ER where it later passed away. Also, an unidentified female body was found in the neighboring town of Kazanlak. The woman was found frozen near a housing block.

So, needless to say, I am bundled up next to my radiator that I like to pretend is a cozy fire, and I venture outdoors only when need be. So for those of you in California...please..soak up those warm rays for me.

No comments: