Monday, January 16, 2006

My Quick Jaunt to Greece...

Where to begin? It all started many months ago when the fabulous Peace Corps Medical Staff informed me that I had a medical issue. They told me what the situation was...and I freaked. I have always been a healthy person minus that Mono I had freshman year of college (but everyone gets Mono in college). So they reassured me that I simply needed to have a biopsy and do a few tests. Okay. So it wasn't as bad as I thought. After I went to a doctor in Sofia that specialized in the procedure, I thought I was good to go. But unfortunately, this Bulgarian doctor proved not up to par with her skills. Thus leading me to have the biopsy repeated.


And that brings us up to present day. Peace Corps then informed that I had two options... Bucharest, Romania or ThessalonĂ­ki, Greece. I opted for the latter. Greece it was. And I was off! Matt and I left on a 7 am train from Sofia. A lot of conversation, a few snacks and even fewer minutes of shut eye later, we arrived in Greece. I was 1 pm. Thats a long train ride. I only wished I had my travel scrabble.

It was a very strange feeling to be thrown into a city where you have no idea what is going on. You don't know your surroundings and more importantly, you don't speak the language. But, we managed to find our way around, enjoy the sites and enjoy some really delicious food. After all, we are self-sufficient Peace Corps Volunteers. We knew what it was like to be thrown into an unknown land.


My impressions of ThessalonĂ­ki were amazing. Being the second largest city of Greece, ThessalonĂ­ki kept up its end of the bargain. There were soo many cars with even more mopeds whizzing past. The waterfront was a very refreshing feeling with the clear water and few boats. The city itself seemed rather unique with a lot of history. (Unfortunately, places closed by three and we ran out of time.) But I do plan to go back this summer, for a longer, more relaxed journey.


Now, Matt and I are peacefully back in Stara Zagora and I couldnt be happier. A few days after my second biopsy the test results came back. And they came back great! There were no significant signs of abnormal cells and I am back to normal. I am considered healthy again. And I got a free trip to Greece in the process.

No comments: