Thursday, September 15, 2005

My First Day of School...

So the first day of school is September 15th. Every year, its the same thing. But to be honest, I thought the first day was a complete joke.


I arrived at 10 to meet my fellow teachers and future students in the school yard. Ideally an opening ceremony was to start at 10:30 but there were technical difficulties. So the show didn't start till about 11:15. The ceremony itself consisted of the playing of the national anthem, the principal speaking, a new student speaking and a graduated student speaking. That lasted maybe 20-30 minutes total. And that was it!!! From there, the students and teachers went to their classrooms and I myself, went home. What a first day, and what a waste of time. But it is the tradition that counts, right? And I guess I have no room for complaints because after all I did get flowers from one of my students I met over the summer. (The big thing here is that the students give the teachers lots and lots of flowers.)

Classes will resume/start as normal in Friday. But as luck would have it I don't teach on Fridays (Its just like college!) Then we have a working day on Saturday to make up for a long holiday next week. (Yes, students sometimes go to school on the weekends and its not considered detention). And since our holiday next week falls on a Friday, I dont have to work on Saturday either. Sooo, I don't really start school until Monday. So my first real week of teaching consists of 3 teaching days for me since we have Thursday and Friday off. (This really is like college!) What a life I tell you.


But really, I am getting pretty excited to get into the swing of things. Should be an interesting first couple of weeks. It is a bit nerve racking too, since I don't have any real experience teaching except for the small bit during training. (I think getting my teaching credential before I left would have been wise...but then I wouldn't be here now...) Lets just hope the kids don't terrorize me. I think my big smile will do the trick! What do you think? Wish me luck..

No comments: