Wednesday, September 28, 2005

No Electricity...

They warned us that one of the realities of living in a block apartment is that your electricity may blow out rather frequently. Remember, they use a higher voltage. Its nothing to be careless about.



I had been lucky up to this point but the day has finally come. My electricity blew out. I got home from school to no power. What a bust! I didn't know where to begin, so I called my counterpart. (Do land line phones usually work when the power is out in the states? I cant remember.) Anyways, my counterpart instructed me to take a look at my fuse box, to check if the fuse was black and burned. Okay, so I grabbed a chair and my trusty (no batteries needed) flashlight and unscrewed the fuse. Nope, looks fine to me. What next you ask. That is where those nosy neighbors come in handy.

As usual, there were about four or five babas and diados sitting out on their benches. I walk outside confident as day, ready to explain my problem. The only problem is I blanked. How do you say "electricity"? I think I ended up saying "I have no sun", but they got the picture. One of the very old men came to save the day. He looked at my fuse box. Everything normal there. So he checked the fuse box outside my apartment. Oh, wait...it's locked..and he doesn't have the key.


So all I could do was wait. Not a problem, it was the middle of the day. About 20 minutes later, I hear loud voices outside my door and TA-DA!!! I am back in the game. I have power! So, thanks to the ever handy diado, I was able to get back online and write this damn blog. YEAH!

No comments: