Sunday, October 02, 2005

Bulgarian Carnival Rides...

Okay, so the story goes.

I have now been on three very different Bulgarian rides since being here. The first, in Panagyrishte, was something similar to a pirate ship rocking back and forth. My host sister dragged me on this ride after having just met her. The second, in Varna, was some monstrosity that rocks you every which way until you really feel like you might want to blow chunks (for lack of better wording). I decided to go on this with another volunteer after not being able to go on it the night before. (Good thing too, since were both a bit buzzed.) But we came off that ride unable to even walk 5 feet. We had to immediately sit on the curb and find our footing again. The third, here in Stara Zagora, was merely a simple Ferris Wheel (although I have never been on one in my life). I accompanied a colleagues little girl on the ride but still found myself holding on like a little girl myself.

I am sure most of you have been to a fair or carnival and been on your fair share of rides. (I can proudly say I was actually a security guard for the band stand at the all too famous Mid State Fair in Paso Robles...although no rides were ridden by me.) Anyways, they all look a bit old and rusty...most look plain sketch. The same can be said for those rides in Bulgaria if not more so. I would also have to say that the typical fair mixes a combination of loud Chalga music (a terrible form of Bulgarian pop), many noisy, scary looking rides, endless amounts of cotton candy, Turkish delights, and other horribly sweet foods, and crowds of people. I think that it is this combination that always makes one feel nauseas after engaging in what is meant to be pure fun. It is this deadly combination that inspires me to write all this nonsense. I have now decided to rule out any and all Bulgarian rides no matter the circumstance. They are just no good for the mind, body or soul (well, maybe soul if if makes you feel like a kid again).

So here is my word to the wise:

AVOID BULGARIAN RIDES AT ALL COSTS!!!

(Nothing good will come of them.)

No comments: