Friday, August 05, 2005

The "Bulgarian" Terminal...

So, I am lucky enough to live in a Peace Corps country that happens to have internet. I am not in a mud hut in Africa or in a shanty village in South America. I am in Bulgaria, a country that is slowly developing, a country with internet. And now I have figured out how to download movies. This is a very nice thing to get through some of those long and lonely days. The most recently downloaded movie: "The Terminal".

It is a movie based on a fictional Eastern European country and one man who gets caught at JFK airport, learns English, falls in love, becomes the hero of the airport, etc. etc. Anyway, it turns out that Tom Hanks is actually from Bulgaria! That's right, Tom Hanks speaks Bulgarian throughout the whole movie. The first time I watched this movie I was with my counterpart. He and his girlfiend were cracking up everytime he spoke! He even cursed in Bulgarian! His Bulgarian is not to shabby either. I can even understand him too. I have been told that the reason they use Bulgarian is that his wife, Rita Wilson (originally Margarita Brahimoff) is a Bulgarian! Now, if you have seen the movie, I wouldn't say that he is a typical Bulgarian but you gotta love a good image coming out of Eastern Europe!

The Terminal in the BG News

Above is an interesting article about it in the Sofia News. So if you get a moment in your busy lives, take time out and rent it. It is actually a quite enjoyable movie.

No comments: