Sunday, August 14, 2005

My First Bulgarian Birthday Adventure...

So, it all started in my great town Stara Zagora on Thursday night. My friend Julie came to town and we went out with some colleagues from my school. We had an assortment of drinks and good food...including cow tongue which I surprisingly liked! From there we had a night on the town at this quaint rock bar called "Little Rock". This is my favorite place in town. The shots were lined up on the bar and at midnight the party really got started. The bartender rang the bell to let everyone know it was my birthday and the dj played the California Girls by the beach boys followed by the California song from the OC. It was truly a good time.


In bed by 4 and awake by 7 to head to Sofia the next morning. Here we met up with some other volunteers and started the night off with a little beer pong. We were bringing it back to the college days. Headed to dinner...but got stuck in an elevator on the way down. Apparently you aren't supposed to squeeze 9 people in an elevator meant for 4 people. (Must have been that damn beer pong to cause our bad judgment.) I think I will be taking the stairs next time. We were stuck in there for about 10 minutes before someone came to rescue us. What a relief to get some fresh air.

After a good old 5 leva Chinese meal, we headed to a kick ass dive bar with live music. My favorite type! There was a little bit of everything played from Pearl Jam to Counting Crows, all covers of course. Much dancing and singing and drinking was involved. I think even a little air guitar by my friend Lincoln.


And again in bed by 4:30 and up by 8 to head to Habitat for Humanity. I cant say I was the most useful volunteer there that day. I think most people were just impressed I even made it. I had lots of water by my side and started shoveling and mixing cement.

Needless to say it was a rockin good time. Best way I could have imagined spending my first Bulgarian Birthday. Wish you all could have been here to help with the festivities. There is always next year :)

No comments: