Thursday, November 10, 2005

Go Bears!

As most of you know by now, I was brought up on Cal Football. I used to go to all the home games with my family. We would tailgate before hand and after head to the fraternity house and meet up with my dad's old "brothers." If I have my memories in order, I can remember running around the house playing on a rope swing in the back while my parents mingled. That was when I was much younger. As the years went on it became more of just a quick trip down to the stadium to watch the game and then we would head back. Needless to say, I have many a memory of those great Cal football games. And even now, living in Bulgaria, those memories have come back. The reason being...Alex.

(Alex, Matt, and Larry...my site mates.)

Alex is the new PC Volunteer in town here. He arrived a few weeks ago and I have only just met him. So, when you first meet someone you usually go through the whole shpeal...where are you from, what were you doing before this, how old are you... you get the point. Well, with Alex, it didn't get much further than hometown. This is how the conversation followed..

Jessie: "Soo, where are you from back in the states?"
Alex: "California."
Jessie: "Really!! What part?!?"
Alex: "San Fransisco."
Jessie: "REALLY!! What part?!?"
Alex: "Oakland. Where are you from?"
Jessie: "Oakland...Berkeley!"

As one would expect, I was very excited, anxious to know more... I suddenly had soo many questions. The conversation continued on its course. What high school did you go to? What part of Oakland are you from? Do you know so and so? (Playing the name game of course.) The conversation continues...

Jessie: "Where did you go to school..college?"
Alex: "CAL."
Jessie: "Really. My dad went there."
Alex: "Go Bears!"

That was all I needed to hear. I think we will get along just fine.

No comments: