Friday, February 02, 2007

Baba Booties..

Baba booties, also known as knitted booties, are hand woven by Bulgarian grannies. It's these same booties that I have come to love. Some might even say obsessed if they ever saw my growing collection. Just look here at my pile of different booties. But don't fret, they are not all for me. They actually make quite good gifts for people. Not only are they stylish, but they are truly Bulgarian. I will be sure to bring a sack of them back with me upon my return.


In Bulgaria, everyone takes off their shoes upon entering the home. There is always a line of shoes at the front door as it is considered rude to wear your shoes in the house. But it is also considered crazy not to wear slippers (slippers like you would think of in the states). So along with that line of shoes at the front door, you will also find a line of slippers. There are always several pairs for unexpected guests (which is also very common.) Anyways, most people also wear these little foot booties and have ample supply in their homes for these said guests.

But since I dont have a Baba (grandmother) here in Bulgaria to knit me my own, I have to go to the local market and buy them. At the market, when the weather is good, the babas take their place on the sidewalk with their cardboard box for a stand, and set up their assortment of knitted goods. I am only ever interested in the booties though.
Here is my favorite lady. She is the one I regularly find in the market and whom I regularly buy my baba booties from. She knows me and says hi to me on the street. Most of the time I have no idea what she is saying to me, but I just do the old "nod your head and smile" thing. And it usually works. She has the best selection and has always been so nice to me. She even gave me a pair of baba booties for Christmas! How cool is that?!

(*Note: Those pictured are actually not the real baba bootie. Those are really just socks. I will try to get a good picture of the real deal. But aren't the little baby ones cute?)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jessie, actually, willie nelson had a singing version of "blue skies" if you wanted a version of the song.