Thursday, February 01, 2007

More hiking...

This time it was to the baths. Oh, that's right, the Stara Zagora Mineral Baths.

My colleague and I have been talking for months about taking this 4 hour hike out to the baths. But something always comes up. But with the good weather, we finally decided on a time and date and we were off. Last Saturday, four of us woke early, packed our knapsacks full of fruit, sandwiches and water, and ventured off into the nature*.


The hike itself was not a treacherous one. It had a few steep hills, muddy paths, and windy passes, but it was amazing. It was a perfect day for a hike. We followed the paths worn by the horse carts, happened across a group of old hunters, ventured though a couple of quiet villages, rested in the shade, and simply enjoyed the company and the stories told.

The whole idea behind the hike was to go to the baths afterwards. After a long walk under the sun, it would be nice to dip in and relax those muscles in the warm pools of mineral water. Unfortunately, for whatever reason, the baths were closed indefinitely. We will just have to do the hike again when the baths reopen. Either way, the hike was incredible and I cant wait to do it again.
*the nature: most Bulgarians use the phrase "the nature" when referring to the wild, the outdoors, the wilderness, etc. I had never heard the phrase "the nature" used so often, or ever for that matter, until I got to Bulgaria. They love to talk about the nature. And I have come to love using the phrase as well. I don't think I can go back to saying the wilderness. "The nature" is just so Bulgarian, and I like it!

No comments: