Sunday, July 08, 2007

Wedding Season...

In the past week, I have managed to make it to two weddings here in Bulgaria. And I haven't even been to that many weddings in the states. It is the beginning of the summer and love is in the air. That must be what explains it. Last Saturday, I went out to Shumen to be celebrate in the joining of 2 Peace Corps Volunteers, Jon and Tia.

(The Methodist Church)

Jon and Tia were both Peace Corps volunteers in my group. Jon was even in my training group! They were perfect strangers before they came, met, bickered, and fell in love. Now they are happily married ready to start the next chapter in their life. And I wish them all the best. Congrats!

(Trust me, they are a happy couple despite the half smile. Unfortunately, my camera failed me and these are the best pictures I got. Bust!)

Why get married in Bulgaria? Why not? Actually, they are both moving to England together after Bulgaria, so maybe that is their excuse. I could only begin to imagine how hard it must be to plan a wedding in Bulgaria with the ever difficult language, the sometimes frustrating people, and the small things that might be hard to find, well, and the big things like the dress. From what I have seen in shops, Bulgarian dresses are not the most becoming with too many frills and whatsits covering the thing.

(The bride and groom enjoying some time old traditions.)

But somehow, Tia and Jon managed to pull it off. The dresses were amazing, the ceremony beautiful. Family and friends alike made it out and enjoyed the party. It was a great success!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jessie, the Bulgarian brides-to-be rarely (I think) buy their wedding gowns from the store. They usually have them custom made by well known (in the wedding business) seamstresses.