Friday, September 07, 2007

Tears, Tempers and Trains

Much like any big city, after 4 days the hustle, the crowds, the intensity and the heat began to wear on us, but we wanted more. I could have spent 3 weeks in Istanbul alone before even venturing to other parts of Turkey. Unfortunately, we only had about 4 days in the amazing, lustrous city.

We tried to soak up as much of it as possible. From the mosques, to the side street shops. From the aqueducts, to the Grand Bizarre. From the rooftops, across the Bosporus. From one palace to the next. From strangers to friends. From friendly smiles, to cups of tea. But after so many cups of tea... it was time to say good bye to Turkey. We headed back on the 10pm train.


(From the train)

We of course ran into a small glitch when we got on the train. Our tickets (tickets I previously purchased in Bulgaria to ensure I had a sleeper cabin) were not valid as the Turkey reservation desk had already given that cabin to another group of people. After 2 and a half years of this s**t, my patience had run thin and I was fuming yelling at the ticket lady, yelling at the train guy, pretty much just yelling at anyone who looked like they were in charge of anything. Well, it worked. I got my way, and we got a sleeper cabin!

(Me and my mom peering up from our beds...hot, sweaty and tired)


Taking the night train was nothing new for me or for my sister who had travelled Europe right out of college, but it was quite an adventure for my mom. The kicker of it all was that at maybe 3 in the morning we passed through boarder control. This meant we had to get off the train leaving all our possessions back in the cabin, cross the train tracks (by cross, I mean, jump down on the tracks, walk across, and climb back up....at 3 IN THE MORNING!), and get our passports stamped. I had done this once before so I didnt think much of it, but I kept forgetting that this would NEVER fly in the states. Since when does one have to cross live tracks just to get their documents checked. It really is insane just to think about it.

(Boarder Crossing on the Turkey Side)

We made it safely back to Stara Zagora, all limbs attached, all suitcases still in tow. Even with the constant jerking of the train, the nightly check-ins from random boarder control, the track crossings, even with all that, my mom still loved it. It reminded her of something out of a movie. Movie or not, I am excited not to have to ride scary night trains for awhile. Although it saddens me too, as that means I will not be travelling for awhile.

No comments: