Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Turksih Boyfriend

During one of our last meals in Turkey, we went to a restaraunt across the street from our hotel. I remember this place well, as I had dined there the previous year with Mandy and Gina. We had made friends with the owners and they even took us out for a night on the town to Shiny Club. But that is a story for another time.

Back to this summer. We had an early casual dinner and ordered wine and appetizers. We were in no rush. As the waiter took our order, he looked at me with confusion. You know how when you see someone you think you know, you get that look in your eye like "How do I know you?". Well, he had that same curious expression. He asked if he knew me from somewhere and I told him yes, from last summer, we went to Shiny club. "Ah, yes. You were with a tall girl and a shorter girl." (Mandy and Gina.) We started talking and wa-la, we made the connection.


(A rooftop dinner)

The waiter went in and told his friend that I had returned. He came out, greeted me with a hug and kiss, and we reminisced about last summer. I came to find out that he is now happily engaged and doing well for himself. As the evening progressed, we had our dinner, ordered more wine, and made more connections. Another person there owned a small shop in the states, in Texas. And who would have believed it, but my mom had frequented that shop several times during her visits to a friend out in Houston. They chatted. I chatted. It was nothing but good times. They joked about one of the waiters, telling me he was single and interested. They even offered my mom 5 camels and a carpet if we were to wed, continuing to tease the young turkish guy about how he had enough hair on his chest to keep me warm during the cold, long winter nights.

By the end of the dinner, everyone was friends. We had shared cups of tea together, exchanged emails, and truly had a good time. I was walked out by young waiter where he planted a kiss on me, and promised to write. You could see it in his eyes. He was smitten over the American girl.

Update: And in fact, he did write. He has written me over the months since my return to the states asking me when I will return. He even writes me poems...or sends me poems as I am not sure they are originals. Here are a couple samples of what was sent to me.


(Istanbul in the Winter: Mehmet Altunpak, my Turkish Boyfriend)

Subject: My inspiration

Destiny where do I find you?
Destiny where can I look for you?
Destiny where are you hiding?
Why are you hiding from me?
Destiny what do you have for me?
Destiny what are my options?
Destiny which door is open for me?
Destiny which door should I go in to find out what you have for me?
Destiny does my future looks bright?
Destiny do you have anything for me that I might want?
Destiny can I get any satisfaction from you?
Destiny are you my friend?
Destiny can you feel my hearts desires?


Subject: Hello

My dearest, How are you? I looked forward to response anyway you send. You 're beautiful. I love your eyes. Miss you. I would be waiting tomorrow night at 10 o'clock. Kiss you. See you.

Subject: Angel

Hi my angel. Where have you been? Ok Jessie, say hi to your family. I really so miss you. I will LOVE YOU forever. Take care of yourself.

Subject: You are the one

A month have passed since splitting up. Who knows where are you I could do anything to see you and hear your voice. Your green eyes, your wavy hair are unforgettable. Never think you have been forgotten you are always on my mind. Without being forgotten your memory had stayed somewhere deep in my heart. Oppression month had pulled you away from me. None had known our love except us. I'm left alone and our love has become a song I have been thinking of you with song.

Those are some real bottom of the heart love letters. I havent been back since, but cant wait for the next opportunity to return. Maybe our paths will cross once again

2 comments:

Gil Allouche said...

adorable. Wonder what happened with that love story

Anonymous said...

Wow, just stumbled upon this and thought I would tell you that I had a very similar experience with the same guy. I have the same picture, poems and letters. In fact we hung out for a week before I left. I skyped with him nightly for a while before I started a relationship here and told him. I just heard from him today for the first time in a while and he told me he just got out of prison. I am married with a child now but I thought I would give you a heads up in case you do return.