Monday, December 26, 2005

Christmas in Bulgaria..

Vesela Koleda. Merry Christmas in Bulgarian. This year the holiday was spent very different than any other year.


For one, I was in Bulgaria, away from my own family spending it with my Bulgarian family. Christmas Eve and Christmas day seemed pretty uneventful. I just hung around the house chatting with my host sister and playing with the cats. When I wasn't doing that, I was eating lots of food and drinking lots of Rakia (the homemade liquor of Bulgaria.) Very few gifts were exchanged and few were in attendance. It was just like an ordinary day in the home of the Perfanov's.


The highlight of the weekend were the get togethers with my host sister's friends in a neighboring village. There, I even got a wedding proposal! And although I missed the traditional slaughter of the pig, I was able to see the aftermath (hence the pictures.)

So, all in all it was a pleasant holiday.... but maybe next year I will come home, back to the states, to enjoy the lively festivities my family has to offer. Cheers!

No comments: