Monday, March 12, 2007

Can I take your picture...??

Why is it that people love taking pictures of or with the weird foreigner? This has happened to me a few times now. Once in San Francisco, I was asked to be in the picture with this family's little daughter (I wasn't the foreigner but the family was). Strange as I had never met them before. And now again in Bulgaria.

When I reached the top of the Freedom Monument I was casually walking around taking pictures...even self photos as you can see. Then, this random Bulgarian guy asked me something about taking a picture. I just assumed he wanted me to take a picture of him and his friend. But mistakenly, he wanted his friend to take a picture of me and him together. This was my confused expression when asked to be in this random picture where I kindly agreed. What else was I to do?


Uh, sure?

Anyways, I again thought this was rather strange as I had never met him before. I just don't get it. Why does he want a picture of me and him? We don't even know each other. What is he going to tell his friends when they ask who the girl is in the picture? I think the conversation would go something like this...

Friends: Are these your pics from the weekend? Who is this girl with you??
Him: Oh her? She was just this random American girl hiking around.
Friends: Oh, okay. (Like this is completely normal.)

How weird!!!
Anyways, here is the picture taken with the random Bulgarian dude. (Emily thought it would be funny if I had a copy of it too!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jessie, you could have been the first US person he had met, this is interesting, not like a 'trophey' thing but just genuinely(and straighforwardly!)curious
TM