Sunday, March 04, 2007

Spring is here!!!

Well technically, the first day of spring is not until the 21st of March. But with all the sunshine, good weather and blossoming trees it mine as well be spring already.

I know I recently posted a blog about the cold weather and how winter has finally arrived. But to be honest, I think that the poor weather only lasted a period of 3 days. Nothing to complain about. And really, I don't even know if winter ever truly arrived. It's been the warmest winter ever recorded in the country with temperatures reaching the 60s in the normally freezing winter months. That is just unheard of here in Bulgaria for this time of year.

And you know what? I like it! I like waking up to a sunny day and going to bed with warm winds. I like not having to put on 6 layers before I go out (I can stick to my usual 3). I like the feeling of the warm sun on my face. To make it plain and simple, I like the early arrival of Spring.


And before I forget, while we are on the topic of spring, March 1st was Baba Marta Day, also known as Grandmother March. This is my favorite Bulgarian holiday which marks the end of winter and the start of spring. The tradition is associated with optimism and good health, good luck, fertility and well-being.

And in celebration of Baba Marta, Bulgarians give and receive a martinitsa, a red and white bracelet or tassel, to wear on their wrist or on the lapel of their coat. According to tradition, when you see the first stork or swallow of the year or a blossoming tree, you are supposed to tie your martinitsa to the branch of a tree or bury it under a rock and you will have good health for the rest of the year.

I personally love this holiday for many reasons. One being that it is the start of spring. Two, it brings people together and unites them. Everyone joins in the celebrations. Old men and little girls, Bulgarians and Roma, and even the good old foreigners all wear martinitsas. I love looking around a noticing that everyone has that red and white bracelet or tassel on.

Happy Grandma March!

(*Note: The picture shows a a usual array of different martinitsas given during the holiday.)

No comments: