Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Odd Coincidence...

I don't usually post more than one blog entry a day but today I have to make an exception.

As I walked into the teacher's room at school today the large wooden table was covered with all kinds of foods and drinks. I thought to myself, whose birthday is it today? As is customary in the Bulgarian tradition, the birthday boy or girl is more or less obligated to treat their friends and colleagues to a small feast of drinks, snacks, and sweets. This is mere commonplace in my school where there are over 100 teachers. So it feels like every week someone is having a birthday. Also those being treated must then wish the person long life, good health and lots of riches (or a version of that anyway.)

I like this concept very much. It relieves the pressure and anxiety that are birthdays in the states. Instead of wondering if your best friend is going to throw you a party or even remember that it is your birthday, here in Bulgaria you just come right out and say it. "Yes, its my birthday. And now enjoy a tasty bonbon."

So, whose birthday was it today?? Well, it was one of my best colleague friends Mima, the same colleague I traveled to Holland with. And what did Mima serve at her small birthday feast in the school?? None other than PEANUTS!!! (And other treats of course.) I just found this rather ironic and I guess coincidental when just this morning I posted about the dangerous peanuts in Bulgaria. Instead of going for the salty peanuts, I went with the homemade sweet. I think that was the safer bet. But I couldn't help but cringe as people took handfuls of the possibly toxic peanuts. I just didn't have the heart to say anything. No need to spoil a good day. What can you do?

Here's to you Mima. Happy Birthday!!!

(Note: Picture is of the birthday girl herself, Mima!)

1 comment:

Gelena said...

Hi Jessie,

I couldn't resist writing you the minute I saw your blog, here's why:

http://bulgarianlights.blogspot.com

I started it in December of last year.
I think we might share one mind...
wierd, huh?

Gelena