Thursday, March 08, 2007

International Womens Day!!!

March 8th. This is the day women all over the world unite together in their fight for independence, peace, economic, political and social equality...and it is also celebrated right here in Bulgaria. Although really, I don't know how much equality women here actually receive. From my point of view women are still a step below men in almost all aspects of life. Cooking and cleaning is still considered woman's work, and many women are not given all the same opportunities as men and are paid much less in the work force.


But here in Bulgaria, like all the other holidays (lots since last Thursday), Woman's day is celebrated in a colorful way. With lots and LOTS of flowers. Since early this morning as I casually walked around town I saw almost every woman at one point carrying a red carnation, a yellow daisy, or some other bouquet of flowers.

I like the idea of a day to celebrate women (not just moms, but all women). And since I am a woman, I of course will gladly take my flowers and carry a proud smile. But at the same time it is hard when you know there are women in the world who are denied education and choices, who are denied life's simple liberties and freedoms so many of us take for granted, who live in abject poverty. For me right now there is nothing I can do but stand with my fellow women..and stand tall. It makes me realize how lucky I am to live in a world (the U.S. of A.) where I have so many endless opportunities and freedom. Today, I am proud to be a woman!

Wow, that was a lot more she-power than I expected. Happy Woman's Day!!!

(Note: *And if you didnt know, apparently it IS celebrated in the states but they turned it into Women's Month. Women's day here is just like our Mother's Day.)

No comments: