Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Good Old Shipka and Buzludja.

Ah, what is a trip to Bulgaria without seeing the Shipka church, the freedom monument, and the old communist meeting point. It seems these are the places I take people when they come to visit. They are close to Stara, important to the Bulgarian history, and quite interesting. I am sure I have talked of these places before so I wont bore you now.

But what I will tell you is what the girls found most interesting. Buzludja, the communist meeting point. It was built in 1974, finished in 1981. Most books and information I find on it, which is not very much, say the building was meant as a monument built in the rememberance of brave partisans who perished during WWII. Sometimes they also say it was a museum. But none of my Bulgarian friends that I have talked to seem to agree. They all say it was a meeting point, a big conference location for all the big wigs in the communist party.


Whatever the case may be, I find this to be one of my favorite things I have seen in Bulgaria. It is run down and shut off from the public. But if you just stroll around the building you will find a small entrance, the entrance we took to get in. Inside is even more interesting. With beautiful marble floors, the remnants of the old red velvet carpeting, and the ornate mosaics lining the walls,. I may paint a pretty picture of it in writing, but as you can see from the pictures, it is completely in shambles and not even that safe to be walking around. I think the shape it is in now has even gotten worse than the last time I was there last summer with my parents.


Aileen and I were the only two braves ones to go inside. Ginger and Alanna decided to avoid all the bee like insects and head back to the car. When Aileen and I finally returned we got back on the road only to discover our car had overheated. But seeing as we were in the middle of nowhere, we decided to head back to the Shipka Freedom Monument and call for help. The tube from the water to the radiator had come undone and was leaking. The car was not only hot, but there was not water! That is where my trusty Bulgarian skills came in handy again. We had a repair guy come and within a couple of hours we were back on the road to Stara where we called it quits with the car.

(This is us, looking very concerned after I called the repair guy to come help us. It turned out to be a good story.)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi,

These images are amazing. you've inspired me to go and visit Buzludja, that is, if I have time.You see, I am only visiting for a week,with a fair chunk of the time spent in Plovdiv which seems like a good place to get to Shipka from. However, I was wondering if you could give me some clues as to how tricky it is to get to the communist momument itself, if I were able to get to Shipka. Would we need our our transport? If you could kindly email some clues, it would be amazing. My email address is mogmog (at) g(m)ail (dot) c(om. Thanks! graham

jason said...

I also have been inside this building and found it truly inspiring. I was expecting an empty shell and was completely taken back buy the mosaics on the walls. It’s a shame that has gone to ruin. I only wish I had a torch to investigate the lower floors. It was very creepy walking around it on your own. I would like to have seen what it looked like in its heyday. Not as it is now. Does anyone have any pictures of how it used to look? I did read some where that the is a capsule buried under the tower containing a message for the future, but unfortunately I didn’t have time to look over that side hopefully on my next visit.

Anonymous said...

I also have been inside this amazing monument, although at the time I had no idea what it was. We went in through (I think) a window, and were amazed by the inside. Like Jason, I'd LOVE to see the lower levels..we only went a little ways into the first level down because it was too dark. Maybe some day I will have the time to go back and check it out.

Maya

Anonymous said...

Do you have any idea what the inscription on the front means? Actualy there are two inscriptions - the one on the left, that is seen in your photo and anotherone on the right that starts with something that (taking into account that I don't know russian or bulgarian), I think means "work, work". Does anyone know hot to translate the two inscriptions?