Thursday, August 30, 2007

Istanbul in a Nutshell

I wanted to write all about my time in Istanbul with my family, but couldnt help but think that my friend Max had put it so eloquently: "Istanbul, a city that is truly a crossroads of history and civilization. A capital of empires and dynasties, today Istanbul is the financial and cultural capital of modern Turkey (though the “official” political capital is Ankara, in central Anatolia). It is a city of nearly 9 million people, with an estimated total of 11 million when the surrounding areas are included – making it bigger than New York City or Los Angeles county. All of Bulgaria has only 7.5 million people. It’s a big place." (Thank you Max, for that.)

(In front of the Blue Mosque with the family)

It’s also an incredibly interesting, dynamic city that I couldnt help but pressure my mom into going. My previous visit a year earlier there had been a small bombing in the outskirts of Istanbul. This to say the least had scared off my mom. Bombings were still a small threat as politics meets religion, but I assured her that it was well worth the risk. She agreed, and now I think I can say with all honesty, Istanbul ranks in as one of me, my sister's and my mom's top 3 favorite cities. It is number one for me as no other city even compares. Nothing can compare to the many contrasts or smells, the clash of modern and old, the traditions, colors, and overall vibe.

(Enjoying the light show in front of the Blue Mosque)

We had a blast. It was hot, in the mid 90s, and it was crowded with backpackers and tourists, and Turks of course. The street hockers were as annoying and slick as ever, pleading with us to buy their carpets and eat their food. But outside of the main tourist center, the hard-sellers disappear, and you can walk unimpeded. We strolled the bazaars and we shopped and haggled for bargains...well, mostly I did the bargaining as my innocent smile disappeared and I got down to business. I had been there once before and knew more or less what one should pay for a piece of pottery or a small this or that.

No comments: