Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Greece: Destination Athens

First impressions: It is hot hot hot! And I don't mean sexy. I mean sweaty, muggy, and moist. Not a good combination for anyone.

I arrive into Athens a half day before my mom and sister and decide to brave the subway and buses to get myself over the hotel where a rooftop jacuzzi awaits! I find the hotel with the help of a Greek man. I wish I could say he was a Greek god, but he was just a helpful old man wandering the streets of Athens in the mid morning heat. I check in, drop my bag off, and put on the bikini. I wanted to soak up some sun and work on my tan before having to head back to foggy San Francisco. As I walk out onto the roof, I am awe struck by our view. We have a view over all of Athens and are right next to the big Acropolis! It was amazing. And so was the cooled jacuzzi. Now this is what I call a vacation.


After a couple of hours in the peak day sun, I head down to the air conditioned hotel and await the family. They arrive with open arms, and we head straight out for some grub.



The thing I love about most European towns is the outdoor cafes! I can never get enough of them. We find a cozy spot on the street and dig into our shwarma kebabs, taziki, and refreshing beer. After dinner we walked around the plaza and enjoyed seeing all the old ruins lit up at night, especially the Acropolis.


And that was just day one!

No comments: