Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Ah, my cat...

So, I have a bulgarian cat. I have had said cat since July 2005. His name is Costa, which usually makes Bulgarians laugh since they usually give their pets more American sounding names like Bob, or Fluffy, or whatever. You get the point. And that is not even the point of my story. So, to continue, Costa has been such a good companion over the past year and a half. But man is he a handful.

First, he got kidney stones. Dont ask me how, maybe it was the food, and maybe it was the water. Either way, he is now spoiled with distilled water that I drink, and special cat food that seems to cost me a fortune.


Second, he is such a whiner/pest. I set my alarm most mornings for 6:30 since class starts at 7:30. But really, there is no need. Costa already wakes me up between 4:30 and 5:30 begging for either food or water. This time is a bit awkward because I can never seem to fall back to sleep and if I do, it is right before my alarm really does go off.


And finally, he is such a trouble maker. I cant leave the little guy alone for a minute. Recently, I went out of town for the weekend thinking that I could leave Costa alone in the apartment. Afterall, cats are independent and pretty low maintanence. Upon my return, I noticed he wasnt walking normal. The cat had a bum leg! Can you believe it? He was limping all over the apartment. I took him to the vet (who probably thinks I am the worst pet owner, but that is beside the point, considering most Bulgarians could care less about the stray animal population.) So, anyways, the vet took some X-rays and discovered he partially fractured his toe. Now tell me, how does a cat do that? The vet gave me some medicine and instructed me to monitor the situation. As of now, Costa is still limping, but remains his usual playful self. I will take him to the vet tomorrow and see what the vet says.


But at the end of the day, I am still so happy with my little friend and cant imagine Bulgaria without him. Dont worry folks, you will have the chance to meet him when I bring him home with me (he even has a kitty passport.)

On a side note, doesnt this picture of Costa look like a glamour shot you would take in the mall with your family. He would be worth it!

No comments: