Friday, December 08, 2006

Opera: Barber of Seville

Last night I had my pearls on, and my crystal binnoculars in hand as I entered the Stara Zagora theater. It was a night at the opera. Yes, the opera. Man, sometimes you just gotta love the Peace Corps life. (But really, I didnt have pearls or binnoculars, but that is what I immediately thought of. My mind went strait to "Pretty Woman". I know you know what scene I am referring to.) Anyways, a friend and I went to the Barber of Seville. This is apparantly a very famous opera, but being that I am not a huge opera buff, I wouldnt have known either way.


Here is a synopsis of the opera I found online...

"When is a barber more than a mere barber? When he's Figaro, the charming master of disguise and deception, plotting to help the young lovers Rosina and Count Almaviva fend off her unwanted suitor and guardian, Dr. Bartolo. Employed by both Rosina and Count Almaviva, the clever Barber of Seville outsmarts them all, but not without a touch of masquerade and mayhem."


The Barber of Seville was written by Gioacchino Antonio Rossini. Although the opera was originally sung in Italian, last night it was sung in Bulgarian. Who knew the Bulgarian language could be so melodic. I thourouly enjoyed the music and speed-of-light singing. (I just wish I went on a day where there wasnt a class field trip. The kids would not stop talking!) But enjoyable nonetheless.

No comments: