Friday, May 25, 2007

Graduation and Prom...

This week my 12th graders graduated. I have taught them for the past two years and cant help but feel proud. They are an awesome group of kids and I wish them all the best in the future. Who knows, I may just run into some of them as a few are studying in the states.

(12A Class)

Graduation: It is not what we think of in the states. There are no really important speeches and then the calling of the names to receive the diploma. It is more of an informal event where the teachers, parents and students gather, put on a little show (students do skits), sing a sad song, and take pictures outside. Once pictures are taken, each class goes their own way, usually to one last dinner, one last horrah.

I was invited to have dinner with my 12A class along with another colleague and good friend Mima. We enjoyed lots of Rakia while my students tried to teach me how to "Q-check", a typical Bulgarian style dance. I think I failed miserably even though they said the opposite. From dinner, we all went to a Chalga (Bulgarian pop-folk music) club where I continued to embarrass myself with my dancing. A good night all around.

(Me and Vessela, a student)

Prom: Graduation is a fun, but I think the kids look forward to prom more. I mean, who doesn't love getting dressed to the nines looking their best. And man did everyone look great! The girls get all dolled up in beautiful gowns and the boys...well, lets just say they clean up nice!


(Me and some of the boys)

Prom is held with the entire 12th grade class of about 300 or so students. And only selected teachers attend. (Of course I was invited!) We danced until 3 in the morning, until we decided to head to a disco yet again followed by more dancing. My students stayed out much later than I did, and I didn't get home till 5:30 am. Lets just say it was a late night. I think I slept the whole next day but it was worth it!

No comments: