Monday, May 14, 2007

Rockin Roy!!!

Not too long ago, I met a fellow American here in town at my favorite bar. It is more or less the ex-pat bar where all the foreigners hang out. His name is Roy. He is a southern man from Oklahoma who is the nicest guy ever. He works over at the Power Plant on the outskirts of town. And he rocks! Why does he rock?? I will tell you...

I always seem to run into him and we always talk about getting together for dinner at his house with the other volunteers in town. Well, I invited him out for my 80s bash, and he came. I think he came more for the entertainment of watching a dozen crazy Americans out in their garb than the actual 80s part. But can you blame him? We talked again about getting together, and we finally did.

(View from his amazing apartment)

On Sunday night he invited me and the other 6 Americans that were in town. He cooked us real Argentinian beef steaks, broccoli with cheddar cheese, baked potatoes with sour cream and bacon bits, and a leaf lettuce salad with Ranch dressing. We even had frozen yogurt for dessert. We enjoyed delicious wine, beer and of course a little Jack from the south. I am sure Roy thought we hadn't eaten in years because we were moaning and groaning and nearly licking our plates clean from the mm..mmm...good food. I cant wait for Mexican night next!!

(Another view from his apartment)

Why else does Roy rock? Because he almost reminds me of my dad. He has a little gray mustache above his lip, has the ankle sock tan line from golfing so much (yes, golfing in Bulgaria, and he is going to take us), and wears khaki shorts with a golf shirt. Not to mention he cooks a mean steak. (Oh, did I say that already.) My friend Melody even said, "I haven't met your dad, but that is exactly who I would picture him to be." It was almost like home.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bet you can't wait until you are home and dear old dad with the gray mustache can barbeque you a steak! Sounds like a great evening. Hope you all brought some Bulgarian wine to drink with dinner.

Love, Dad