Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Preslava and the joys (and non-joys) of Chalga....

Melody, Eric, Tryavna, Preslava, and so went my first real taste to Chalga in two years.

Of course I have heard Chalga. I mean, who hasn't? It is everywhere. It is always played blaringly loud no matter where you are...the bus, the cafe, your next door neighbors apartment. It is EVERYWHERE! But what is it you ask. Well, let me see here.

(Preslava in Tyravna)

According to Wikipedia, Chalga is a type of Bulgarian popular music, sometimes synonymous with pop folk. It draws back from Balkan folk traditions and incorporating Arabic, Turkish, Greek, and Roma (Gypsy) influences. Although many claim to hate the genre of music, it is still the leading music played in bars and clubs. (There is a big rivalry between Chalga fans, and those who hate it. You are either a Chalga fan or you aren't. Simple as that. Seriously, you could put Bulgarians into these two groups. There is no in between.)

Some even say it is a second rate musical genre. With stupid and pointless lyrics, the educated of Bulgaria dismiss the music, while the uneducated and unrefined are the real fans. Is this true? I don't know. And I wont even begin to decide. Sounds like we might even be talking about the Country music of America if you put it in those terms.

(Preslava: She might just be more famous for her knockers than her music.)

There is a common joke in Bulgaria. Well, I don't know if it is common or just something I have heard here and there. But it goes like this. "One does not listen to Chalga, they watch Chalga." The pictures I have posted don't do this joke justice. It simply means that Chalga singers are sex objects, like any pop singer would be. The difference is that their music is so horrible it is not even worth listening to. People would rather stare at the enormous silicone-filled breasts and scantly clad dressed girls in their high heels, than listen to the music.

(Melody and me at Preslava!)

This post should have come 2 years ago when I first got to country and discovered what is so very Bulgarian - Chalga. But it is only now I share this because I recently went to my first, and probably my last Chalga concert. I had the great pleasure to experience something so Bulgarian, I almost liked it just for that reason. I saw the ever famous Preslava in concert.

(While searching online for a good definition of what Chalga music really is, I came across a very interesting, yet long article about one man's encounter of the music. To read more, click the following link... "Bulgaria's Chalga Music" by Matt Pointon.)

So, that is that. My shpeal about Chalga music. And for the record. I am NOT a fan.

No comments: