Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Speedos on the Danube...

My Spain adventures have passed and I am back to the Bulgarian ones. My most recent adventure is nothing to skimp on either. Well, I can’t really say it was my own adventure. I was more or less living vicariously through these men for the day. But can you blame me? Would you really want to jump in that freezing cold, filthy Danube River water? Yeah, me either.

Okay, so what am I talking about? Saturday, January 7 marked Yordnovden, or better known as St. Jordon’s Day. Rivers and lakes all over Bulgaria saw young and old men alike, suited up in their bathrobes ready to show the world their speedos as they jumped in the icy cold winter waters. And I got front row seats to the action as the men de-robed in Svishtov, one of Bulgaria’s northern towns on the Danube River.

The main ritual during this unusual festival is the throwing of a cross into a river or a lake for men to dive after. It is believed that the first person that reaches the cross will enjoy good health throughout the whole year. And according to the Bible, on this day Jesus was baptized in the river of Jordan by the John the Baptist and the Holy Spirit came to Him as a white dove.

Ah, this year in Bulgaria is already off to a good start. I cant wait to see what else it has in store for me as I enjoy my last 7 months here.

No comments: