Friday, April 20, 2007

Boring Bratislava

Bratislava is another city I have previously visited during a different spring break trip about 5 years ago. Not too much has changed since then. I only spent a day there then. And I only spent a day here now. It is a beautifully quaint city with its own version on eastern European goulash, but as far as the sites go...it's not all that interesting. But after busy Budapest, I was up for a more relaxing time.


I visited a castle, the massive rectangular building with four corner towers stands on a quite isolated rocky hill directly above the Danube river in the middle of Bratislava. It is probably the most outstanding feature of the city, but to be honest, I just wasn't that impressed. Most of it looks to be fully restored, but going in is out of the question.

Every time I travel, I always manage to meet a new friend. A new statue boyfriend that is. And here is yet one more. And apparently Bratislava is known for its quirky street statues around town. This guy, my new friend, is Napoleon's army soldier. This soldier is supposed to reminds visitors of Napoleon himself wearing a typical hat. Napoleon I visited Bratislava in 1805, then in 1809 Napoleon's army blew up the Devin Castle near Bratislava.


And the adventure continues. Poland here I come!

No comments: