Sunday, April 22, 2007

Can tourists ruin a city??

The answer my friends is...YES!


Prague, Czech Republic. This city is so hyped up right now being called the Paris of eastern Europe. And maybe it is, but for me, I found it to be too overrun with people making it hard to truly enjoy the city and all it has to offer. And really, it is quite an interesting and extensive city.


The cityscape is stunning. Simple as that. It has a medieval center that proves to be an evocative maze of cobble stoned streets that lead to ancient courtyards, dark passages and many, many churches. All this, and an 1100-year-old castle. But sometimes, just sometimes, it is hard to appreciate all this when you can hardly manage to walk down the street. Most times I felt like I was cattle being herded down the street. There were just so many people everywhere.


During my visit, in order to get off the main path, I headed to the Communism museum ironically situated next to a McDonalds. Here I learned that Jan Palach who burned himself in protest of the soviet-led invasion. The funeral of Palach turned into a major protest against the occupation, and his action was followed by two more people. Although these suicides didn't have much of an impact on the actual political situation at the time.

Later, I wrapped my head around the very strange Kafka museum. The peeing statue above is one of a pair outside the museum. Kafka is one of the best known Czech writers of all time that has become amongst the most influential writers of western literature. Although I have not read any of Kafka's works it is said that he has come to embody the blend of absurd, surreal, and mundane which gave rise to the term "kafkaesque."

And finally, the quietest place I found in Prague was the Lenin Wall. Seriously, there was not one other person roaming around in this area. It is not really mentioned in the guidebooks and it is definitely off the beaten track, but here I was. In the old Communist days, this was the outlet for the locals to express their views by spray painting their feelings and messages here. It was dominated by old Beatles lyrics, so hence the name. Today, you can see many faces of Lenin hidden beneath the other graffiti scribbles.

Well, thats about all for now. Hope you enjoyed Spring Break 2007: Eastern European Extravaganza. I know I did!!!

No comments: