Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Close of Service Conference

As I mentioned before, I recently attended my last Peace Corps conference. The much anticipated event was filled with all the emotions that come with finishing service, and leaving Bulgaria and the 2 very memorable years spent here. Many thoughts raced through my head as I looked around the room and saw my group, simply strangers 2 years ago, but now my family. We are the 17th group to serve here in Bulgaria and over the years we have shared lots of laughs, tears, new and old stories, good times, and if you were lucky, care packages full of American goodies.

(Me, myself, and my training group.)

On the first day, the remaining 35 or so Peace Corps Volunteers broke up into our original training groups. For most this was no problem. But for me, it was a rather sad time. I was alone. I was the lone man standing after two years (my wing man Lincoln was not able to be there to stand by my side, although he will finish his service.) My fallen men included: Jim during training and who I have not heard from since, Liz after a year in BFE and no vegetables, she is now working at her dream job, and Jon after some health issues, who is now getting married to a fellow PCV. Most training groups had lost one or two members, and there were even a few where the entire group was able to stick it out. Bravo to them.

(The group photo. Probably the worst arrangement ever, but eh.)

But now it was all coming to an end. All I could think was.... "Oh my gosh! I cant believe two years has come and gone! What am I going to do now?"

So, what am I going to do now? Well, I am going to finish my last 3 months of service with as much enthusiasm and energy as when I came. I am going to thoroughly enjoy the spring and all the good things that come with that. I am going to look back on my service with no regrets. I am going to remember all the good and bad times. I am going to cherish all my new friendships, both PCVs and Bulgarians. I am going to stick around the region until I see all that I can and want to see. I am going to say all my proper goodbyes. And finally, I am going to leave this country a stronger, more mature person who has learned so much about life, people, and myself.

Here is to you Bulgaria and to Peace Corps!

No comments: